Endometrium is the inside lining of the uterus,Endometrial Biopsy is the removal of the sample of the tissue from the endometrium for testing ,A biopsy may be done for examine the cells are where cancer or precancerous cells,to determine the cause of irregular bleeding or to investigate fertility problems,this procedure also used find infection and monitor medication effectiveness
Subscribe in a reader
Endometrial Biopsy Procedure
- The patient will be asked to undress and lie on the table with her feet in the stirrups for a pelvic examination. She may or may not be given localized anesthesia.
- A speculum will be inserted into the vagina to spread the walls of the vagina apart to expose the cervix.The cervix will then be cleansed with an antiseptic solution.
- A tenaculum, a type of forceps, will hold the cervix steady for the biopsy.
- A pipelle, a thin tube also called a catheter, will be inserted into the uterus. A smaller tube (internal piston) inside the pipelle will be withdrawn to create suction. The pipelle be will rotated and moved in and out to collect small pieces of endometrial tissue. Cramping may occur.
- The removed tissue will be placed in a preservative.
- The tissue will be sent to a laboratory, where it will be processed and tested. It will then be read microscopically by a pathologist who will determine the diagnosis